Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Disneyland Salad

On Friday night of our trip, we ate at Goofy's Kitchen.  It was fun, and buffet style, so we got to try lots of different food.  I tried fried plantains, teriyaki salmon, and a salad labeled generically "special salad."  It looked good, so I tried it and it was delish!  I recreated it for a barbeque, and everyone thought it tasted like summer. 

1 red bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1/2 of a softball sized jicama
1/2 of a walla walla sweet onion
8 green onions
4 ears of corn (if you love corn, use as much as you want!)
1 carton light sour cream
2 tablespoons of taco seasoning (I used Lawry's)

Cook corn. (the corn from Disneyland had been roasted).  Remove from cob.  Chop other veggies small, the same size as the corn.  Combine taco seasoning in the sour cream.  You could probably thin with milk, as the salad in Disneyland had a runnier consistency, but I didn't mind how it came out.  Coat veggies with sour cream mixture.  Chill.

The nicest thing about this salad  is it is adaptable.  Add cilantro (I can't, I think it tastes like soap), tomatoes, acini de pepe (small round) pasta, cucumbers, etc.   You can vary how much seasoning for your taste buds. 

This truly is the epitome of a summer salad, with fresh and crisp ingredients!   Can't wait to make it for our family functions.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious!! I'd prefer to have it at Goofy's kitchen, but I'm gonna have to make it at home :) I will def.in.ite.ly use cilantro (love it - funny you think it tastes like soap) and leave out some of the onions.

    BTW, I love how you describe the quantity of jicama you used. "Softball size" is adorable, and I know exactly how much to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Lacee! Good job interpreting what you were eating. Keep up the good work so we can all just enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made it for dinner to go with our homemade pulled pork taquitos and watermelon. It was a perfect match - loved the fresh flavors.

    We looooooved the extra cilantro I put in it :)

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete